Students Compete at AAU National Championships and Junior Olympics
Kickstart Kids students, led by their instructor Wade Jenkins, travelled to the AAU Karate National Championships on June 29-July 2, in Greenville, SC and the AAU Junior Olympics in Houston, TX on July 31, 2021.
6 students from Alvin ISD competed in the AAU Karate National Championships bringing home Gold, Silver, and Bronze medals:
- Damien G. - Gold in Kumite
- Audriel C. - Silver in Weapons, Silver in Kata, Bronze in Kumite
- Rowan W. - Silver in Kumite, Bronze in Weapons
- Jonathan T. - Silver in Kumite, Bronze in Kata
- Black Belts Brawley F. and Ian D. did very well in a division of over 25, earning points and the respect of referees George Kotaka and Jason Nishime.
Not even a full month after their impressive performance in South Carolina, 11 Kickstart Kids students competed at the local AAU Junior Olympics in Houston on July 31. Students took home an even bigger haul of medals at this event:
- Rowan W. - Gold in Weapons, Bronze in Kata, Bronze in Kumite
- William C. - Gold in Kata, Silver in Weapons
- Damien G. - Gold in Kumite, Silver in Kata
- Jonathon F. - Gold in Kata
- Jonathan T. - Silver in Weapons, Bronze in Kata, Bronze in Kumite
- Audriel C. - Silver in Sparring, Bronze in Kata
- Tyler H. - Silver in Kata, Bronze in Sparring
- Gabriel C. - Bronze in Kata, Bronze in Kumite
- Brawley F. - Bronze in Kumite
- Ian D. - Bronze in Kumite
- Jakob S. - Bronze in Weapons
Mr. Jenkins stated, "It has been hard on everyone to stay connected and active in their sport throughout this pandemic, but these kids have done just that. They stepped up, and they trained hard for this. I'm very proud of all of them."
The Amateur Athletic Union (AAU) has been raising champions for more than a century. Since its inception in 1888, the AAU has set the standard for amateur sports in the United States with one goal in mind: “Sports For All, Forever.” It is more than a motto – it has been the focus and drive of AAU for 130 years and counting for sports in the United States and throughout the world. One of the largest, non-profit, volunteer, multi-sport event organizations in the world, the AAU is dedicated exclusively to the promotion and development of amateur sports and physical fitness programs.